We’re proud of our skillets’ high walls and domed, self-basting lid – both of which make room for this stew to simmer. Created by Olympia Provisions chef Alex Yoder, this dish gets an incredibly savory, slightly-spicy richness from OP’s famed Chorizo Navarre. Find more of Alex’s work on their menus – and on your plate – at Olympia Provisions’ southeast Portland location.
Photos by Sika Stanton
Shrimp and Mussel Stew with Chorizo Navarre
¼ C Olive Oil
5 oz Olympia Provisions Chorizo Navarre, halved & cut crosswise into 1” lengths
½ tsp crushed chilies
1 Tbsp minced garlic
¼ C dry white wine
1 C chicken stock
2 lb mussels, purged & debearded
12 medium shrimp, peeled & deveined
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 Tbsp oregano, roughly chopped
Salt, pepper, & lemon juice to taste
Crusty bread for serving
- Season the shrimp on both sides with salt and pepper.
- In a 12″ FINEX Cast Iron Skillet, combine the olive oil and chorizo and cook over medium heat until the fat has begun to render out of the chorizo (About 4 minutes).
- Remove the pan from the heat and let cool 30 seconds. Add the crushed chilies and garlic and stir to combine.
- Return the skillet to the heat and add the white wine and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and add the shrimp, mussels, and butter. Cover with a lid and cook, stirring occasionally and flipping the shrimp over if necessary until the mussels have steamed open and the shrimp are cooked (about 5 minutes).
- Add the oregano and season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice to taste. Divide between four bowls and serve with crusty bread. Enjoy!