We recently partnered with Chef Carlo Lamagna of Magna – here in Portland, Oregon – to bring you a classic Filipino slow-cook stew, just in time for the winter months. Cooked and served in our 5 Qt. Dutch Oven, his recipe brings this time-honored Filipino comfort food to your table.
Traditionally, the Kare-kare dish was designed to go from the fire or stove to the table – perfect for our Dutch Oven, with it’s Speed-Cool spring handles and visually striking design.
Kare-kare, Oxtail & Peanut Stew
2 oz vegetable oil
3 lbs oxtail, cut into 2” sections
1 lbs beef honeycomb tripe, sliced
3 qt beef stock
1 lbs onions, small dice
3 Tbsp garlic, minced
¼ C fish sauce
5 Thai eggplant, halved
2 heads bok choy, julienne
2 C peanut butter, smooth
Salt and pepper to taste
3 Tbsp annatto seed
8 bay leaves
- Season oxtails with salt and pepper and let sit for at least 1 hr.
- Add onions and garlic and sear until translucent. Return oxtail to pan and cover with stock.
- Bring liquid to a boil and skim any scum that comes to the top. Add tripe and lower to a simmer. Add sachet and fish sauce and allow to braise until tender, about 3-5 hours
- Remove braised meats from the liquid and whisk in peanut butter until fully incorporated. Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Return meats and add vegetables. Continue cooking until vegetables are tender. Serve with white rice.