Sesame Chocolate Skillet Cake & Smokey Vanilla Matcha LatteWhether it’s Netflix, games, a good book, or your latest project – these recipes from our friend Lauren Chandler are perfect for all of your cozy nights in. The combo of our 1 Qt. Sauce Pot and 8″ Skillet gives you bites and drinks for two – or scale up for everyone in your household. Lauren is a Portland-based chef and instructor at Lauren Chandler Cooks and at the Master of Science in Nutrition program at the National University of Natural Medicine. An experienced traveler & adventurer, she’s also cooked and rock climbed around the world.
Sesame Chocolate Skillet Cake & Smokey Vanilla Matcha Latte
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup tahini
- ½ cup pure dark maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup cocoa or cacao powder
- ⅓ cup roughly chopped chocolate
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- ¼ teaspoon flakey salt
- 16 ounces milk of your choice
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Smoked Vanilla Tea Raft Syrup
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon matcha
- pinch of smoked flakey salt, optional
DirectionsSesame Chocolate Skillet Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a FINEX 8-inch skillet with 1 teaspoon of the sesame oil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, remaining sesame oil, tahini, maple syrup and vanilla. Mix in the baking soda and salt and sift in the cocoa powder. Stir well to combine, then fold in the chocolate.
- Transfer the batter to the skillet and spread in an even layer. Sprinkle the sesame seeds and flakey salt on top.
- Bake for around 35 minutes until the top of the brownies no longer deflate when you gently tap with your fingers. Let cool before serving. Serve straight out of the skillet or invert on a plate.
- Place the matcha in a small bowl.
- Heat the milk and the syrup in a FINEX 1 Qt. Sauce Pot over medium-low heat until it simmers. Remove from heat and pour 1/4 cup of the liquid into the bowl with the matcha. Whisk until well combined with no lumps.
- Transfer the matcha mixture back into the sauce pot and stir, then pour into two mugs and top with a pinch of smoked salt if you are using.