Credit the gluten-free & low carb crowds for bringing so many flour varieties into the spotlight. Chickpea flour in particular has had a few high profile moments with FINEX. In December, Top Chef contestants Sylvia Barban and BJ Smith cooked farinata, a chickpea flour pancake, in our 10″ skillets at the MoMA Design Store on SoHo, NYC. Topped with fresh burrata, salmon roe, and chives the farinata was a big hit with hundreds of servings gobbled up by an enthusiastic crowd (recipe below).
More recently, Vice’s Munchies also featured our 10″ skillet in their “Chickpea Pancakes are the Ultimate Savory Breakfast” article, also featuring the co-owners of Portland’s own Cocquine. Take note, MoMA visitors and Vice editors agree: chickpea flour & FINEX make a winning combo. Try it for yourself with the recipe below.
Farinata / Chickpea Pancakes
9 oz chickpeas flour, we recommend Bob's Red Mill
3 C water
1 ½ C of extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp salt
Vegetable oil for cooking
1 jar salmon roe
Crushed Black Pepper
- In a bowl, mix the chickpeas flour with the water.
- Let it set for about 30 minutes, then add the extra virgin olive oil.
- Use 10” FINEX skillet to preheat and cook on low heat.
- When the skillet is hot, add a teaspoon of vegetable oil, 1 ladle of chickpeas batter, enough to fill up the surface of it and cook on low heat.
- Use a spatula to flip the bread to get golden crisp along all sides.
- Once bread is cooked, serve with burrata, salmon roe, chives and season with sea salt, crushed black pepper and extra virgin olive oil. Enjoy!